I released concurrency-126.96.36.199, adding a
-- | Create a @TVar@. This may be implemented differently for speed. -- -- > newTVarConc = atomically . newTVar -- -- @since 188.8.131.52 newTVarConc :: a -> m (TVar (STM m) a) newTVarConc = atomically . newTVar
This week had a bunch of little things:
I fixed a nearly two-year-old issue with a two-line diff.
I switched off one A/B test (shingles: results were sadly inconclusive) and switched on another (a change to how we rank spelling suggestions).
I shrunk our search-api and Elasticsearch resources down to what they were before we recently scaled up.
I made a red graph less red.
And I removed an old dependency, making the code shorter while I was at it.
I was off on Thursday to go look at some flats in Rickmansworth. More on that later.
I read The Path of Daggers (by Robert Jordan), the eighth book in the Wheel of Time series.
I continued with my project to get GOV.UK running on Kubernetes, and have made some good progress this week:
- Concourse builds docker images for all the apps (PR#1)
- The frontend apps are running in production-mode against the live GOV.UK apis (PR#5)
- I’m using Amazon’s Elastic Kubernetes Service to manage the cluster (PR#8)
I’ve got some really neat stuff set up, for example:
- An app which requests storage will automatically provision and attach an EBS volume
- An app which accepts external traffic will automatically provision an ALB and set up a Route53 entry
I’ve started to work on the publishing apps, but I’ve not done much more than deploy content-store and a proof-of-concept MongoDB instance. I’d like to also deploy search-api, router-api, and router (with their respective databases); putting in some fake data; and seeing if it all works. Once that proof-of-concept has been tested, I’d then like to switch to using the AWS managed Elasticsearch and Document DB, rather than running them myself.
In the process of switching govuk-k8s to using EKS, I also switched it from nginx to Caddy, because it turns out nginx has some really strange ideas about hostnames:
This also switches from nginx to caddy because nginx has some interesting ideas about hostnames:
If given statically, nginx resolves all hostnames at start-up.
If a hostname doesn’t resolve, nginx doesn’t start. This is a problem because the ALBs won’t exist until the apps are deployed.
If a hostname is changed to point to a different IP, nginx won’t pick up that change either.
If given dynamically (in a variable), nginx forces you to construct the proxy URL yourself.
- It seems exceedingly difficult to construct a URL based on user-supplied input which doesn’t open a possibility of SSRF.
Caddy solves both of these problems by just behaving sensibly with hostnames.
I’ve known about Caddy for a while, but not tried it before. The configuration is way simpler than nginx, as it has more sensible defaults. I’m planning to switch all my servers from nginx to Caddy now.
I went to see three flats in Rickmansworth on Thursday, and decided to rent one of them. It’s a five minute walk from the tube station, which itself is about an hour away from the station next to work. My criteria when looking for a flat were:
- No more than an hour and a half from work
- The commute to work is a single tube journey / bus ride / whatever
- Can get at least 300Mb internet (preferably Hyperoptic, but that proved far too limiting)
- Has space for: VR gaming, table-top gaming, and a computer desk
My current flat is pretty small, and I’ve had to move my computer every time I wanted to use the table for boardgames, which sucks a lot. The flat I picked is over twice the size, and has a second bedroom which I can turn into a home office.